Message #895

From: matthewsheerin <damienturtle@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Sub-1000 for 4^4
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 23:53:59 -0000

Andrey, that makes you sub-1000 for 4^4 and sub-2000 for 5^4, an impressive set of records!

It will be interesting to see new methods developed here specifically designed for 4D hypercubes, and how efficient they can be made to be. It has crossed my mind that one of the methods used by computers to solve efficiently is the Thistlethwaite algorithm, which has been adapted slightly for humans (Ryan Heise has a tutorial if you don’t know it). I wonder what move counts could be achieved applying it to 4D, though since the last section of the solve relies on half-turns the current MC4D interface isn’t ideal for it. If 180 degree face turns only counted as one move, then the method could be interesting, though probably very difficult to apply in 4D. Also, does anyone have any idea what God’s number is for any 4D cubes? Since it hasn’t been pinned down for the 3x3x3, I doubt it will be known any time soon!

I am currently working on fine-tuning my 3^4 method, and will be revisiting the 4^4 and 5^4 when I have finished that. Hopefully Melinda is correct: like Remi I’m interested in speedcubing so hopefully that will help a little (I wonder how many speedcubers we have here?).

Now that Andrey has taken on the 4D cubes so dramatically, I have a feeling that several people (Roice, Remi, I’m looking at you here) will be having another go at the top spots, and we may get some records changing hands some more. Could be exciting!

Well done Andrey, keep up the good work!

Matt

P.S. Remi mentioned different ‘steering’ for the 2^4 in the new MC4D, did I miss something?