Message #808

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] 5D interface
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:27:23 -0800

I don’t have a full answer to this question but I feel like I might be
able to put some constraints on its answer. I think that what we’re
hoping for is a 1-click UI that performs a natural twist, and ideally
one that extends to N-dimensions. I also don’t think that we want a UI
similar to the TouchCube because that seems particularly awkward to me.
People seem to like the MC4D twisting UI and I think that a goal should
be for the basic MC4D twist UI to fall out of an N-D definition. Given a
basic twist, I bet that we can find appropriate modifier keys and other
variations on it to let us reach all positions and face reorientations,
but that goal should be secondary to finding a good basic twist UI
definition.

The constraint that I suggest that we work with is that a twisting click
on a sticker should always identify two special N-D points: The center
of the cubie containing the clicked sticker, and the center of the face
containing the sticker. The twist should define a rotation that leaves
these two points unmoved while rotating the selected face (plus one
slice of all neighboring faces) in a direction controlled by which mouse
button was clicked, such that the twisting stops at the first point
where the geometry of the puzzle is identical to when it started. IOW,
when the face first snaps into a new legal position. Any stickers that
can not provide any such rotation that changes the state of the puzzle
would not identify a "grip".

What I don’t know is how many different kinds of rotations will satisfy
these constraints in N-dimensions. The above may not provide enough
constraints in that some stickers might be capable of identifying more
than one grip, but I feel as if looking at the problem this way might
give us a start on finding a natural and usable N-D 1-click twist UI
definition.

-Melinda