Message #798

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Records: Now with moar images!
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:20:56 -0600

Great stuff Chris!

Your block solution approach is interesting.

I also like your notations thoughts. One tiny observation I had was that
there is redundancy in it, so for example 3c(5,5,4) could be reduced to
(5,5,4), or even simply 554 for that matter. In any case, I definitely like
your approach to distinguish between the various kinds of piece types, since
number of colors is not discriminating enough.

There are some other situations that might be relevant to these piece
labeling thoughts. As just one of many examples, there are two types of 4C
pieces on the length-3 simplex (one with 4 tetrahedral stickers and one with
4 octahedral stickers), and again number of colors falls short for
classification. Unfortunately, this time both piece types are connected the
same number and types of faces. I’m not sure how one might be able to
elegantly distinguish those via notation. Maybe sticker shape has to come
into play or something…

Take Care,
Roice