Message #725

From: Roice Nelson <roice3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Announcing MagicCube4D version 4.0 beta ready for download!
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 18:29:22 -0500

Hi all,

Like Melinda, I’d also like to encourage doing a quick search for existing
issues first before adding new ones (there is a search box at the top of the
page). This will help avoid duplicates.

Melinda has already been pointing some existing issues out, and here are a
few more problems/requests that are being discussed which already have
issues.

Thanks to everyone for your help on creating these and/or voting on them to
prioritize.

On the subject of supported puzzles, I thought I’d mention that one reason
for the current set is they all have
simplex<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplex>
vertex figures <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_figure>. In 4D, this
means 4 faces (cells) meet at each vertex, and in 3D it means 3 faces meet
at each vertex. 3D puzzles based on shapes without simplex vertex figures
(e.g. the icosahedron) tend to be awkward compared to those that have them
(e.g. the dodecahedron). since slicing objects like the former produces lots
of little floating stickers. The same is true in 4D. They are still
possible and I hope to see them in the future as well, though I’m sure the
code changes won’t be trivial.

In answer to the question related to colors, I think Melinda’s design idea
would work (there should be no problem from the perspective of mapping a set
of saved colors to the same faces each time), so let her know what you all
think of that.

Looking forward to more feedback and solution experiences from everyone!

Take Care,
Roice