Message #680

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] The School of Hard Knocks
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:47:00 -0700

OMG, that story simply breaks my heart! Are you sure there are no copies
anywhere? Was an intermediate copy ever emailed to work account or to a
friend? Maybe a computer profession can extract it from
delete-but-not-erased space on the hard drive? I know that if it were
me, I’d be trying everything to recover an earlier version of that file
so long as there was any chance at all.

When I’ve lost a couple of hours of creative work in the past I’d been
extremely upset. I can’t begin to imagine how I’d feel about a lost of
this size. My small losses were enough to make me as paranoid as Roice
and now I try to keep careful backups, but there’s always room for
error. It’s funny but because of my paranoia I never rely on software
auto backups, prefering to manage that by saving early and often and in
multiple locations including off-site in case of fire or other complete
disaster.

My sincere condolences on your user’s loss. That is a very tragic story.
-Melinda