Message #662

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: New 5^4 solutions and a new record
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:47:19 -0700

This is a public congratulations to Matthew Sheerin and Jon Sorrells who
each posted solutions to the 5^4 within about an hour of each other! How
strange is that? Jon’s is impressive because he skipped the 4^4 warm-up
and went right for the big one. Matthew’s solution breaks the previous
record for shortest 5^4 by over 400 twists. Poor Noel Chalmers is no
longer on the leaderboard, but then he held that record for 2 1/2 years
so he should be very proud. And who knows, I wouldn’t be surprised to
see him come back to claim one or more top spots. ;-) In some ways it’s
a good thing that Jon’s solution was not also a record breaker,
otherwise one of them would have been very sad. Matthew says that he
wasn’t even trying to break the record and that it just happened
accidentally. Hopefully he will tell us how he did it. His solution
makes me wonder what he could do if he put his mind to that task,
especially after having covered the ground once. Is 2,500 twists within
reach? And to think that he told me that he intended to skip directly to
the 5D puzzles! I wish him luck as he wanders off to slay demons in a
still higher dimension. I have no new challenges for him in 4D… Yet. ;-)

Congratulations again to Jon and Matthew: Unknowing brothers who met on
one of the highest mountains of the mind!
-melinda