Message #640

From: David Smith <djs314djs314@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] a short diversion into sticker and cubie counts
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:52:43 -0800

You’re welcome, Roice! I’m glad my observations helped, and great
to hear you are off to solve another problem.

As for your observation, check another unique insight off the list for
Roice! ;)  I thought of a cool way to visualize why your fact must be
true, and it could even be used to intuitively prove the result without
solving the equation you gave.

When the number of cubies per edge equals the number faces, this
of course also means that the number of faces equals the number of
layers ((n-1)-dimensional slices of an n-dimensional cube).  Now just
mentally reposition each sticker on a particular face to the inside of
a corresponding cubie on a particular layer of the cube.  Do this for
each face, and we see that each sticker rests within each cubie,
establishing a 1-to-1 correspondence of cubies to stickers.  This is
a lot easier to visualize than to describe in words.  This "proof
without words" can also be used to establish the inequalities you
gave.

As for the terminology of higher-dimensional Rubik’s cubes, I prefer
n^d, which is what I use in my formulas. (At least I will use d
eventually! ;))  Strangely however, I also use the term n-dimensional,
as you can see above.  I believe the deference to n as the dimension
(perhaps unconsciously) is because this is used almost everywhere
for dimensions in mathematics.  As an example, consider the
standard term, "Euclidian n-space" for the set of all n-tuples of real
numbers, denoted by R^n.

Anyway, I hope this helps establish the a priori justification you were
looking for, and good luck with your checkerboard problem!

All the best,
David