Message #626

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Magic Cube 6^5 Solved
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:45:22 -0800

Let me be the latest person to congratulate you on your stupendous new
accomplishment! Long ago I predicted that it would be a very long time,
if ever, until someone posts a *second* solution to the 5^5. I never
imagined that anyone would solve still larger puzzles. Certainly they
offer a chance to grab an impressive "first" solution. I expect that was
a big reason that you tackled the 6^5. I still think it will be a long
time, if ever, before anyone posts a second solution to either of these
monsters. I’ve added a special notice of your breakthrough solution to
the main MC4D page.

A couple of unrelated notes about the web site:
* I turned the FAQ <http://superliminal.com/cube/faq.html> into a more
proper web format and added a description of the slice masks.
* I added a short page on using macros
<http://www.superliminal.com/cube/macros.html> in MC4D, and
* I removed the references to the old 2.x source and binaries for
Windows and Linux.

We haven’t done any work on those older versions, and now that the new
Java 3.x versions support macros, there’s probably very little value in
maintaining the older, platform specific versions. If anyone here is
still using those versions and they contain any features you need that
are not in the Java version, please let me know and I’ll put them at the
top of the list of things to add to the Java version when I next get a
chance to work on it.

Congratulations again Levi on your amazing Tour de Force. I’m
continually amazed with you guys. I’m still very proud of my small 3^4
solution but I feel so small next to such giants!

-melinda