Message #586

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: [MC4D] Re: Something interesting and strange about permutations
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:02:24 -0700

This subject of dimensional analogy is very interesting to me. I think
that the way I approach it is to ask a subtly different question than
both of you guys do. You each seem to be asking what *is* the correct
analogy in each dimension whereas I prefer to ask what *should* we
choose the right analogy to be. What we’re looking for is the best
definition of an N-dimensional set of puzzles, but "best" in this case
is not the answer to a mathematical question, rather it *is* the
question. "Best" is the question that gives the Rubik’s cube as the
answer in 3D plus puzzles that please us the most in the other
dimensions. From my perspective Lucas is making a suggestion which is
entirely reasonable (I.E. not wrong) but which Roice does not find
satisfying. It doesn’t work very well for me either but it is not wrong.
Roice on the other hand is suggesting a definition based on
rotations–one that I preferred too, at least maybe until now. My shift
in thinking didn’t come from the realization that MC2D didn’t seem to
fit perfectly into this definition. It would be nice if it did fit but I
was perfectly happy for it to be an exception, mostly useful for
illustrating state graph properties for these puzzles. By the way, I
added a nice image of the MC2D state graph to the applet page along with
some descriptive text. See http://superliminal.com/cube/mc2d.html.

The thing that really struck me was Roice’s observation that rotations
can always be described with pairs of reflections. This started me
thinking that perhaps the "best" analogy might only involve reflection
moves. Looked at this way, perhaps the original Rubik’s cube is the
oddity which needed to use planar rotations to satisfy the practical
demands of 3D objects in the physical world. It certainly makes for a
fun and satisfying puzzle but perhaps we shouldn’t be more focused on
the way that the plastic puzzle operates than the mathematical group
that it operates upon.

So now we have the basis for defining a new analogy that can reproduce
our puzzles in N dimensions:

    &quot;A valid move is any combination of reflections of a hyperface <br> that leaves its orientation unchanged.&quot;

MC2D moves only do interesting things with odd numbers of reflections,
and the Rubik’s cube is only physically implementable for even numbers.
Looked at this way, perhaps the "best" version of MC3D would allow both
odd and even numbers of reflections per move but with the option to
restrict the available moves to even numbers of reflections in order to
satisfy people with a nostalgia for physical reality. ;-) Looking at
David’s implementation, I now see that this is exactly what he did
although it is the default mode and that each reflecting click must be
preceded by ctrl-q. David: I would love if you would add a new toggle so
that plain clicks always perform reflection moves and ctrl-q clicks
perform rotations.

I purposely call all of these operations "moves" instead of twists
because thinking about twisting drags in all the problems with rotations
that we’ve been struggling with. I kept saying that it was better to
think about planes of rotation rather than axes of rotation, but that
seems unnatural for a lot of people. If we base the discussions on
reflections, then this suddenly becomes quite natural.

What do you people think? Is this a good basis for defining
N-dimensional twisty puzzles? If so, the only things that remain to
figure out are the best user interface for computer implementations
based on this model, and how best to animate the moves, if at all. I’m
not signing up to implement anything anytime soon but I do enjoy the
thought exercise. I did not have any sense for what would make for a
good user interaction model but I think that David may have pointed us
in the right direction. I do have some ideas for animations that might
work. Let’s start with a single reflection move. These can be
reflections about a point, line, or any space of dimension lower than
the puzzle itself. The simplest animation would seem to be a linear
interpolation of the beginning and ending vertex positions. That would
leave a moment of degeneracy in the middle when the part being moved
gets flattened into that point or line, etc. but that’s fine. Imagine
that happening in MC2D. A 3x1 slice would collapse into a 0x1 line at
the midpoint of the motion. It is interesting to notice that that is
exactly what you would see in the current projection if the motion was
implemented as a 3D twist coming out of the plane and then back as some
people have mentioned. Maybe an equivalent reflection move on MC3D would
involve an affine 4D rotation in order to flip over a 2x2x1 slice,
leaving it turned inside-out? It’s an interesting thought.

And then what about those pairs of reflections that Roice says can
produce rotations? How might we animate those? It seems like we would
have the same two natural choices. We could perform a linear
interpolation of the vertex positions, or maybe we could find pure
rotation matrices that achieve the same results. Even if all rotations
can be expressed as pairs of reflections, it might not follow that all
pairs of reflections can be expressed as rotations, but if it is true
then we will have found a way to redefine all of our puzzles, including
the original Rubik’s cube. So now we have come full circle and it is
time to ask what have we gained. First we might have gained a simpler
way to way to define the puzzles we already know and with some new
moves. Second, it might show us how to implement these puzzles in any
number of dimensions. And finally, it might give us back all our
familiar puzzles (Rubik’s cube, MC4D, Hyperminx, etc.) as special cases
in which moves consist of pairs of reflections. Oh, and it gives us an
MC2D that is *not* a special case! And I swear that was not my
intention! :-)

-melinda