Message #511

From: Mark Oram <markoram109@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Magic120Cell Realized
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 05:00:39 +0000

I know what you mean, Jay, about the dodecahedron not being an ‘immediately obvious’ Platonic solid. (I think that is what you were getting at?) I had felt the same myself when I first came across them. Maybe this suprise arises as the triangle and square can tile an infinite 2-D plane, wheras the pentagon can not. Strange, then, that the Pentagon CAN ‘tile’ a 3-D solid quite happily!

I fear the dual of the dodecahedron is in fact the icosohedron; while the cube and octahedron are similarly dual to each other. The tetrahedron IS its own dual however: possibly this is where your recollection came from?