Message #435

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Doing a class presentation on Rubik’s Cube and Group Theory… suggestions?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:39:39 -0600

On Wednesday, November 14, "Jenelle Levenstein" <jenelle.levenstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>If all you want to do is make a program solve a
>rublix cube you could always solve it using the brute
>force method where you try all possible combinations
>of moves until the you find the solution.

Note that dave explicitly stated that he wanted to use
techniques he was learning in his abstract algebra
class to _derive_ a solution.

>This works on the 2^3 and maybe on the 3^3 and only
>because the cube is always within about 15 moves of
>being solved.

Sorry, not for 3^3. The search tree expands way too
rapidly. Not only is a solution within 15 moves of an
arbitrary start, but so is every other possible
configuration of the cube. The number (on the order
of 10^20) is way too large to admit a brute force
approach. Fortunately, there exist more intelligent
approaches which do work. Indeed, Don Hatch has
posted a general one (for nD) here:
http://www.plunk.org/~hatch/MagicCubeNdSolve/

Brute force, when it works, can find the shortest
solution. Don’s method does not claim to be optimal.

Regards,
David V.