Message #432

From: iatkotep <iatkotep@gmail.com>
Subject: Doing a class presentation on Rubik’s Cube and Group Theory… suggestions?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:36:18 -0000

I’ve never solved a rubik’s cube. the idea for my presentation is to
take the techniques that I’m learning in my abstract algebra class,
and use them to derive a solution to the cube. I want to extend that
to also deriving a solution to the 4D Magic Cube.

I’m at the beginning now… I know what properties of the cube make it
a mathematical group, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I have a
strong feeling that jumping from the cube as a group to a full blown
solution involves the study of subgroups, but I’m not really sure
where to start.

do we have any math people in there that could kind of point me in the
right direction?

thanks!
dave