Message #417

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] New shortest 3x3x3x3 = 333
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:19:01 -0700

Remi,

Congratulations on taking the most coveted shortest prize of all. If you
take one more (the 5^4), you will have a grand slam!
That was a great story you wrote too. I’m sure that everyone on the list
will enjoy reading it and maybe it will inspire some people to try
things they only dreamed about. It’s still not enough to make me attempt
my first full solution yet but definitely someday! :-)

I should say a couple of things about your use of screen captures to
view the invisible face: The first is that you should always be able to
<ctrl>click and regular click as much as you like and then hit <ctrl>z
to get back without affecting the history. If that’s not true then there
is a bug. Even if the log file did record your rotations, they shouldn’t
affect the twist count. You should even be able to undo a left click by
using the same right click and still leave the history unchanged.

Second, I should tell you that I wrote a program that can read log files
and let you see the invisible face and even rotate it around to view
from other angles. It is called MagicCube4D! ;-) You may not realize
that you can run two copies of the program and use them to view your
puzzle from different directions in 4-space at the same time! They won’t
automatically update one when you make a change in the other one but you
in the other one. You can even make changes in the second copy and then
pick up those changes back in the first one. You’ll need to reset your
view each time you reload by ctrl clicking a face twice but that’s not
hard. If this becomes a popular way of working I should look into
creating auto-save and auto-update options to help keep multiple copies
in sync. This amounts to one of the potential ways that I described
recently to view the invisible face in a single running program. In some
ways the multiple program solution might even be better because you can
make the "backface view" window smaller and place it wherever you like
on your screen for reference. Even if you never update your reference
view, this has to be a better solution to your problem than using static
screen captures!

In testing just now I found that I couldn’t always successfully reload
so I may have a small bug caused by not closing files properly, but you
can also save different states to different files and manage them
however you like with File->Save As. (This is useful in general in order
to keep backups of your progress.) Maybe a similar problem caused your
problem with saving your log file that one time. Or it could be that
some other program like notepad was keeping the file locked. I can look
into whether I’m closing files properly the next time I get a chance to
do some work on the code.

I should mention that I’ve recently taken a new job. My job is
completely distracting and I may not make the time to work on MC4D for a
long while, so I just want everyone to know that lack of progress
doesn’t mean that I don’t care deeply. We have all sorts of wonderful
plans for everyone’s favorite puzzle and we fully intend to implement as
many of them as possible in time. My new job is at Linden Lab working on
Second Life <http://secondlife.com/>. If any list members do not know
about Second Life or haven’t checked it out recently, you simply must!
It is a complete 3D world built entirely by the residents and you can be
and do just about anything you can dream. You own everything you create
there and you can sell copies of anything you create and some people
even make their full-time living this way. I would love to see someone
do an implementation of MC4D within this virtual world.

But enough about me. This is really Remi’s day to shine. So
congratulations again Remi. I’m completely amazed with your
accomplishments and am so happy that we have your passionate efforts to
help improve and promote our little creation!

-Melinda