Message #403

From: Mark Oram <markoram109@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Further musings
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:17:18 +0100

I can readily believe that possible interfaces for 6
(and upward) dimensional simulations would be
workable, based on the 4-D paradigm along with the
ability to selectively hide different layers/faces
etc. Also, I think there is plenty of fun to be had
with a step by step algorithm; with (in the case of
the cubes at least) enough intermediate milestones
such as one face complete, two faces complete etc etc,
to provide sufficient motivation (and satisfaction!)
to keep moving forward.

My main fear would be that this step by step
‘orthogonal’ approach (I don’t know how else to
describe it) misses a lot of the subtleties and
‘richness’ that the extra dimensions provide. Nor does
it, I firmly believe, give any real insight into how
God’s algorithm for each cube might look. Perhaps this
is where software designed to solve the higher
dimensional cubes will have a clear advantage over
human visualisation and imagination, in that it is not
constrained by the 3 dimensions we are familiar with.