Message #363

From: Melinda Green <melinda@superliminal.com>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] Checkerboard & Superflip
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:46:41 -0800

Interesting that Yahoo mailing groups now seem to accept attached
images. That’s nice.

Jesse Thompson wrote:
> So here is an interesting question.
>
> On a 3d cube, you can generate a "checkerboard" pattern by rotating
> all 3 middle slices 180°, looking like Fig 1.
>
> Can anyone else guess how to do this on a 4d cube? See Fig 2.
>
> Furthermore, is there an analog to the Superflip in 4d?

By now I’m sure that you’ve seen Remi’s description of the checkerboard
competitions and his first solution to the "superduperflip" pattern I’d
previously posted. I don’t know if that is the proper 4D analog to the
3D superflip. For those who don’t know, the superflip pattern on the
normal 3D cube has all edges twisted 180 degrees. I had to decide
whether the 4D equivalent operation sticks with 2-color cubies which are
no longer edge pieces, or sticks with edge pieces which are no longer
2-colored. I just guessed the former.

-Melinda