Message #350

From: "ilia.smilga" <ilia.smilga@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Hello
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:09:48 -0000

> Hi everyone. I am new to this group, but I have known about MC4D for
> a long time. I have been able to solve the 3D version since before
> high school, so I was very pleased to find this program. I first
> found out about this program about five years ago when I was a
> freshman in high school. Sadly, I have never really made a serious
> attempt at solving it, but maybe now I will.
>
> I am actually much more used to solving the 3D cube by layers, so
> when I see these other weird solutions it doesn’t make much sense to
> me. Could I solve it by layers, or would that just be way too
> difficult? I want to solve as much as possible on my own, but I have
> to start with a feasible plan first. Any suggestions?
>
> I have also installed MC5D, and it certainly confuses me. I actually
> worked out in my head approximately how a 5D cube might work a while
> back, but that was based on the MC4D interface. They obviously chose
> some other way to represent 5D, so I don’t understand it at all yet.
> There’s more time for that after I solve the 4D though. :)
>
> In order to figure out the corners, I suppose the best thing would be
> to use the 2x2x2x2 cube, yes? Then they will all be corners. Lots
> of puzzles to solve, not enough brain power. :-/

Hi Spencer !

Yes, it IS possible to solve the 4D version layer by layer. This is how I did it. In fact, if you
know how to solve the 3D cube, it is not so difficult to figure out the solution for MC4D.
What I do is that I solve the first two layers (which is harder than in 3D, but feasible; you
can recycle here most of your 3D sequences), then I solve the last layer as if it were a 3D
Rubik’s Cube, by choosing a "side" hyperface for this whole part, then bringing the faces of
the last layer that I want to turn under this hyperface and then turning the hyperface (I
don’t know if I’m being clear enough). Try it !

Good luck !