Message #151

From: Guy Padfield <guy@guypadfield.com>
Subject: RE: [MC4D] Cubes, beer and Beethoven
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 19:54:47 +0200

Thanks Roice. Remigiusz is supposed to be producing a solution to the 4^4 at
this very moment, though he keeps getting sidetracked by his mission to
unscramble a 2^4 in under 20 moves. I hope he will report back on any parity
problems he encounters.

I haven’t had time yet to study David’s and Eric’s articles, though I did
read Eric’s when I first found the site, before I had attempted any of the
cubes. I first thought about parity issues, at a much simpler level, at
about the same time David was writing that article in 1980 (when I was a
schoolboy). Once I had solved the Rubik cube (there were no published
solutions then) I realised the box was wrong to boast there was only one
solution, since the face centres could be orientated any way without anyone
noticing. So I marked up my cube to yield only one correct solution and
rapidly made an interesting discovery. If you leave the orientation of the
centres to the end, there are two possibilities. 50% of the time their net
rotation is 0º (mod 360), in which case they are easily solved in pairs. 50%
of the time the net rotation is 180º, in which case you are forced to break
and remake the edges and corners of a face to align the remaining centre
correctly. By coincidence I chose the word ‘parity’ to describe my
discovery, calling the first situation ‘even‘ and the second ‘odd‘.

Few people seem to have attempted the 5^4. The 5^3 has just one parity issue
(providing you don’t mark it up) – once you have aligned the edges correctly
the corners always fall into place. It would be interesting to know if the
same is true for the 5^4.

What would happen if you worked outside in? The corners have only one
possible ‘correct’ alignment with respect to each other so completing the
edge pieces inside them would presumably always work without rebreaking the
corners. I strongly suspect, without proof, it would then be possible to
align the faces without rebreaking the edges and the centres without
rebreaking the faces (because of the independence of the parity issues when
working in the reverse direction). However, I also suspect the required
sequences would be much longer, undoing the benefit gained.

Roice indirectly revealed his 4^4 solution strategy in his last post
responding to my query. Would it breach protocol for me to publish my
slightly different strategy here, if that would give future solvers a hint
or two? It is far less economical in terms of moves but also, I think, far
easier to execute. Or would that upset people trying to solve it for
themselves?

Guy

_____