Message #148

From: Guy Padfield <guy@guypadfield.com>
Subject: RE: [MC4D] Cubes, beer and Beethoven
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 22:33:33 +0200

Thanks David - I didn’t expect a response so quickly (and certainly not
before my question had come out).

I will check the sites you refer me to and let you know if they answer my
question. I suspect I was not very clear in my original posting, but by ‘3D
version’ I meant the 4^3, not the 3^3 and it was from this that I made
guesses about the 4^4. Each of us when solving probably creates his own
lingo but I should be more careful when communicating: by ‘centres’ I meant
the 8 one-colour pieces on the interior of each cubic face of the 4^4. Since
you cannot distinguish orientations and positions of these I wondered if
their arrangement influenced the subsequent placing of the two-colour
pieces, such that if it was wrong these last could not be aligned. In my
solution I never had to break and rearrange the one colour pieces after I
had placed them. As I mentioned, I did have to break and rearrange the
two-colour pieces before the three-colour pieces would align. The corners,
however, dropped into place first time. If there really are 3 independent
issues, all at 50%, then I was presumably 3/8 lucky only to hit one of them.

When solving the 3^4 for the first time using something like Roice’s method
you often come up against seemingly impossible situations that are not
impossible (and that is where the fun is). It is useful for 4^4 solvers to
know that in solving that puzzle you sometimes meet seemingly impossible
situations that really are that, at least without breaking and
reconstructing work already done. Because of familiarity with the 3D puzzle
(Rubik’s Revenge) I wasted no time agonising when I found the three edge
pieces inverted (I could easily revert four, leaving one inverted, but it
appeared impossible to invert just one or three).

Thanks again,

Guy

_____