Message #137

From: Remigiusz Durka <thesamer@interia.pl>
Subject: 2^4 , counting moves
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 07:32:07 -0000

Hello!I’ve just solved 2x2x2x2 (it was second time I tried that cube)
First solution had 920 moves.This 424 ! ;))

However I don’t agree with that number!

I did a lot of <shift> Left/Right moves..which are no moves! In
Linux version we don’t have so flexible view as in Windows
version…and here it is nessesary to rotate the whole cube to see
what’s going on. (As we know in program there are x and y rotations
not counted as moves). I really feel the lack of rotation ‘z’ axis
and I don’t see the reason why there isn’t such option. Okey… we
have <shift> Left/Right clicking but it is counted like ordinary
twist! (I just want to see better the situation on cube, from
diffrent angles and I can’t see everything in XY plain so I use
Shift Right/Left clik to set the cube in way I can’t get from x or y
rotation.So why program counts everything as "move"? Changing faces
isn’t ‘classic twist’ either…We just changing the point of view.

Usually nobody cares for 20-40 moves more…because they have 1500
moves done already ;) But sometimes it is important…

As I saw : Jay’s B. solution (First and shortest 7/2/2004 588 moves)
in log has 630 moves! I asume it is result counting only twists. If
that is true why don’t we change the program to count ONLY twists?

Best wishes,

Remigiusz Durka

Ps. I would be very pleased to see 2^4, 4^4 and 5^4 in Windows
version with macross and with viewing like we know from 3x3x3x3.
Probably not only me…