Message #91

From: Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
Subject: Re: [MC4D] The twist counting script
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:50:35 -0400

> Hello! I’ve been playing with the MC4D again recently, and was
> wondering how to use the twist counting Perl script written by Jay
> Birkenbilt. I do have a Perl interpreter, but I’m unsure how to
> feed the script my solution log files and get a twist count.
> Also, am I correct in understanding that the script will count
> only actual twists, and not rotations of the entire hypercube that
> leave it in the same state? Any help would be appreciated.

On my Linux system, I just say

perl count_moves.pl logfile

where logfile is the full (or relative) path to the logfile. You may
have to specify a full path to the perl script as well. Keep in mind
that you have to run this from the command line. It just outputs the
number of twists used to solve the puzzle after subtracting out the
original twists used to scramble the puzzle.

Jay Berkenbilt <ejb@ql.org>
http://www.ql.org/q/