Message #21

From: David Vanderschel <DvdS@Austin.RR.com>
Subject: Fwd: My Introduction
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 20:07:11 -0000

Date: Wed Apr 9, 2003 5:39 am

— In MC4D@yahoogroups.com, Würfel Wolfgang <wolfgang.wuerfel@i…>
wrote:
Hello to everyone and thanks for inviting me to this group! I was
asked to introduce myself so I’ll give you a description of myself:
I am 33 years old and live near the city Graz in Austria. Currently
I’m working as a software-engineer, developing software in the field
of cryptography/digital signatures/pki. My first contact with the
original Rubiks cube was at the age of twelve, back in 1982. I was
able to solve the cube using some layer method that I didn’t invent
myself. About one year ago I ran across Mefferts website and decided
to try to find my own solution to all those puzzles that are
available there. So time by time I bought the 2x2x2, 3x3x3, 4x4x4,
5x5x5 cube, the pyraminx, the megaminx, the square one, the skweb and
a few others and solved them, beginning with the easier ones and
progressing to the harder ones. Luckily I had forgotten most of the
moves I had learned by heart 20 years ago for the 3x3x3, and for
those that I remembered I found other moves with the same effect, so
I can honestly say that I did it on my own. After solving the 5x5x5,
which in fact wasn’t really a new challenge after the 4x4x4, I found
the Magic 4D Cube website and tried the 4th dimension. It took me
quite a few hours to understand how everything was moving, but after
that I found that I could use the same principles I used for the 3D
cubes. I didn’t look at the solution at the website to solve the
cube, but searched for my own operators, which were not very
difficult to find. I used my operators for the following operations
(using the names from the website solution:
1) Exchanging 3 faces
2) Rotating 2 faces
3) Exchanging 3 edges
4) Rotating 2 edges
5) Exchanging 3 corners
6) Rotating 2 corners
So exchange always takes place as a cycle of three, rotating is
always done with two pieces, where one is rotated inversely to the
other. I first did all the faces, then the edges and at last the
corners. After positioning a piece I immediatly rotated it if the
orientation was wrong. I know, it would have been a little more
efficient to care for the orientation later, after positioning all
pieces of the same kind, but it was easier this way. You can very
easily get lost!
I was proud of finishing the 4D-Cube, but was really surprised to
read that only 14 other people had done this before! But I think this
may be partly due to the fact that not many people are aware of this
website. Anyway, it isn’t an extremly difficult task, it’s rather a
very tedious one.
And thanks again to the people who created the software and made it
available for everybody!

Regards
Wolfgang Würfel

<<MagicCube4D.log>>